Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My London Life

As I'm sitting here in the warm California sunshine, I thought it was a good time for a reflection on my time in London so far.  So here are five things that I've done that are at least semi interesting.

1.  I got a job...and it’s teaching!
It was not easy, but I did it!  Starting this fall I will be teaching the UK equivalent of first grade in the East End of London.  I applied to job after job after job, even teaching assistant jobs.  The problem was that they didn't want to give me, an American, a chance.  And the one American school in the city had no openings.  And let me tell you the application process was no picnic.  I couldn't just email a cover letter and a resume and hope for an interview.  Each different school, and I think I ended up applying to 25 in all, had their own separate application form that were anywhere from 6 -12 pages long!  I was ready to take a teaching assistant position (along with a 50% pay cut) at an exclusive all girls academy when I got a call from Canary Wharf College.  As I've recently learned, for the first time in the UK they are opening up a new type of school.  There are already public schools, private schools, Catholic schools, academies, and international schools but new to 2011-2012 is Free Schools. I will be starting in a brand new school, where there will be only three grades: Reception (like our kindergarten but for age 4), Year 1 (5 year olds), and Year 2 (6 year olds).  With 20 kids in each class, so only 60 in the whole school!  I am so excited yet so overwhelmed at this opportunity.  I’ll keep you posted as I get more info, but I already know I need to start studying the metric system and British history this summer!

2. I Went to the NHS...and it was great
Dan and I needed to get multiple vaccinations for our upcoming trip to Kenya so we headed to the National Health Service.  We went in on a Tuesday morning with a our visas and proof of address.  We got an appointment for the next week!  When we met with the nurse she was courteous and informative.  Everything was free, expect for the Yellow Fever shot.  I was very pleased with my experience.  It felt so nice to just get the care that I needed with no big hassles.  Don’t get me wrong, I know there are problems in the NHS, but at least anyone who is sick can get the Chance to get better.  America needs to get it's act together!     

3. I fell in love... with a store
But it's not just any store...it's a store of the future.  Argos is this amazing chain that literally sells everything under the sun.  It employs a unique concept however.  You walk in and there are little computer terminals everywhere with catalogs attached.  What you do is you look through the catalog for what you may need. Each item has a code.  You then punch this code into the computer and it tells you if that particular item is in stock at that store.  If it is, you then go to a pay terminal where you punch in the code again and pay for it using a credit card.  When the transaction is complete, you get a receipt with  a number on it.  You then proceed to a withing area where someone calls your number and voila there is you product!  I’m not sure why I am so obsessed with this store.  Maybe it's because I can't believe they actually have all the stuff in the catalog in the back.  Maybe it’s just because I love shopping. Maybe it’s because I secretly think it’s little elves making all the stuff in the back.   Whatever the reason, I'm addicted.  Here's a sample of stuff I've already purchased from Argos: lamp, shower curtain, cat carrier, football, cutting board, toaster, TV stand, electric kettle.  And I already have a list for when I return to London, one of which is and aerobed (hint hint) (come visit!)

4. I went to an English wedding...that lasted 12 hours
Dan’s friend from Michigan Business school happens to live in London too.   So when she got engaged we were pleased to be invited to the big event.  And boy was it big!   It took place in a small English town about two hours out of London.  Called Wroxhall Abbey Estate, the chapel  dated from 1100 and was surrounded by stunning grounds and a charming hotel.  The ceremony itself was very traditional, very similar to the Royal Wedding.  It  lasted about an hour and included readings, hymns, vows, prayers, and my favorite a sing-a-long of Wonderwall at the end.  Next up was a two hour cocktail hour on the terrace at sunset.   After that was a three course meal, with the usual reception activities.  My favorite part came next when an Irish folk bad played for an hour and taught us all traditional Irish dances.  All that dancing made some people hungry again so there was a second buffet dinner!  Finally it was time for the after party which was held in a big tent with a DJ, smoke machine and light show, tables with bottle service, and glow sticks! The DJ shutdown the party at 2 am, 12 hours after the start of the ceremony!  Dan and I were done, but some people still stayed up and karaoked until god knows when.  It was an awesome experience, but tiring!

5. I went to pub after pub...and well you know
My favorite thing about London so far is all it’s pubs.  Pub culture is so different from going out in NYC and LA.  First of all, they close at 12.  So people come early to get there drink on.  But it’s not all about the fine cask ales,  they all serve great pub food from hamburgers to fish and chips to Shepard's pie.  And on Sunday’s they have traditional roasts where you can get a nice hearty meal of either roast beef, roast pork, or roast chicken with potatoes, vegetables, and Yorkshire pudding. It’s such a nice way to spend an evening.  We go 1-2 times a week and varying it between are favorites and venturing out to new ones.  Some favs so far (which we will take you to when you come visit!)
The Prince Regent, The Apollo, Angels and Field's, The Marylbone, Coco Momo, The Beehive, Tudor Rose,  The King of Diamonds, The Goldhawk, The Larrik, The Sir Christopher Hatton and the Volunteer. We’ve barley made a dent!  Please come help us explore more culture (pubs).

Loving London so far, can’t wait for more experiences.  Just wishing I had some friends to come and visit so I can play tour guide!

No comments:

Post a Comment