Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Wills + Kate = One Big Party



The big day was finally upon us! Dan and I decided to go watch the festivities in Hyde Park where they would be broadcasting the wedding on huge screens. We had no desire to camp out to catch a 3 second glimpse of a carriage, but still wanted to be part of the atmosphere, and Hyde park is within walking distance of our place. I read an article that quoted the mayor of London stating that he encouraged Londoners to dress up for the occasion, as if we were really guests at the wedding. Even though I've know about this wedding since before I even moved here, I still ran out to time to buy a proper fascinator for the big event. A fascinator, I recently learned is what they call those crazy hats that seem to be fastened to your head. So I had to settle for wearing my straw beach hat. I pared that with this navy blue dress I had purchased on Steinway in Queens from Strawberry Jam, which just so happened to bare a resemblance to Kate engagement photo dress. Dan dressed up as well in a sweater and suit in, accompanied by his new favorite hat. I know people have been saying that it's silly all this for a a wedding. But if I've learned anything in my two months here its that Londoners love to party! Most people don't care about the monarchy, but simply were glad for a day off work and a reason to drink in the middle of the day. In trying to completing immerse ourselves in the surrounding culture, Dan and I happily partook in this revelry. We brought a bottle of champagne and plastic cups and toasted to the happy couple surrounded by 100,000 other party goers. It was a fantastic time. The screens were gigantic so you could sit down and see from a long distance off, there were stalls selling drinks and food, and importantly (at least for me) there were hundreds of porta potties! People ranged in dress to causal jeans and t-shirts, to full on wedding dresses and tiaras. The crowd cheered and waved flags as the procession went by and the couple share their kiss on the balcony. And in a moment of divine intervention, the clouds parted exactly as Kate made it up to the alter. I feel really lucky to be have been in London to witness such a unique event.
 Photos here: Royal Wedding
 

No comments:

Post a Comment