Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A day in the life of an American girl in London

My day starts with Dan's alarm going off around 7:30 am. If feels so good for once to be the one who gets to go back to sleep! After an hour (or 2, or 3) more of sleep, I let the cat in and play with her on the bed for awhile (like 30 more minutes). I rationalize this extra time in bed as a way to bond with my new kitten. When I finally make it out of bed, its time for my wifely duties (not that, Dan's at work remember, geez) I make the bed, wash dishes, laundry, straighten up the place. Being as my place is so small, this work takes 20 minutes tops.

Next on my busy schedule is job searching. I realize I still really want to be teaching. The problem is, all the international schools did their recruitment for the next school year back in January! I'm not too sure yet whether my US qualifications will allow me to teach in a public school here, and I get different answers from various people. So we will have to see. I can always take a job as a Asda greeter (Asda is the UK equivalent of Walmart).

After job searching (and yes, facebooking, celebrity gossip reading, and vacation researching) I try and do something 'fun'. I have to remind myself sometimes that I am lucky that I have this freedom. Fortunately I don't have a mortgage or kids yet so its not imperative that I find work right away. Fun consists of exploring new neighborhoods, shopping, reading in the park, or just grabbing a mocha at a local cafe. Lastly, before Dan returns home from a long day at work, I either prepare us a nice meal or select a new restaurant for us to try.

I know this will sound chessy, but weekends are still really the best times because Dan is home! It is so much more fun exploring this city with a partner. We try to frequent as many pubs as we can, visit tourist attractions, or just relax in the park. We also have many weekend trips coming up all over Europe as we take advantage of three bank holidays in the next 2 months.

Sometimes I feel lonely, for all my friends back in New York, my career I left behind, and my family in LA. When moments like this strike I have to remind myself how lucky I am to get this opportunity to live abroad. And thankfully, there's always skype!

Enjoy some pics of how we spend our weekends:  Around London

No comments:

Post a Comment